The Knittin' Kitten (and crochetin' kitten too)

Friday, July 28, 2006

Gregory is Home!

Well, Gregory Peckory, my cat, is home today. Unfortunately, he's not better. In fact, he's worse. When I took him to the vet last Friday and saw he was jaundiced, we did blood work. We had hoped it was cholangial hepatits, which is fairly easy to treat and he would hopefully recover (somewhat). The vet did another blood panel yesterday and this morning we got the news that he is actually getting worse. So our worst fears have been confirmed....he has hepatic lipidosis, which means he has a fatty liver. The fact that he is somewhat overweight doesn't help matters, but it didn't cause it. But...it is contributing to it. With him losing weight, the fat he is burning needs to be filtered through the liver....and already with "fatty liver syndrome" the extra fat is just clogging things up.

So, he's still not eating on his own. I'm force-feeding him baby food and tomorrow I'll try something more substantial for him. He's on IV fluids infused with antibiotics. 300 units a day, which I can do at home. (I did this for another cat who just recently died of kidney disease). We are hopeful that with the treatment he will start showing signs of improvement. Now that he's home, maybe he'll be less stressed and start eating himself. At the very least, at least he is here enjoying his friends (the other cats), sleeping on the bed and just being loved to pieces. We will make sure he is comfortable and knows he is greatly loved....by us and his kitty buddies.

On the knitting front...well....yesterday I was working on the sweater and one of my knitting needles just disappeared into thin air!!! Seriously!!! I cannot find it anywhere and all I did was sit in the chair in the living room!!! I looked EVERYWHERE. Retraced my steps in case I had it in my hand when I went for a water or something. The only explanation is that one of my cats took it, but I find it hard to imagine that a cat walked away with a 14 inch, size 13 needle without me seeing him. So, I had to buy another set of needles today so I can finish the sweater. I am now on the first sleeve. The front & back are done. I'd post pics, but I don't feel like getting the camera ready right now....I'll do it tomorrow.

As for all the other crisis going on...my sister did have her defibrillator put in and all is well with that. My husband's step-mom is going to start chemo again by the weekend. They'd like to get her into Kessler Rehab in about a week and then home. She's been in the hospital for about 3 weeks now so she'll need to exercise her muscles before she can return home, hence the rehab.

1 Comments:

  • At 7/28/2006 10:35 AM, Blogger AR said…

    Too bad about the crazy stuff going on in your life. Sometimes being is just hard, huh? I've lost needles like that before. You'll find it after you buy new ones! Isn't that how it usually goes?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home